I thought you might want to see a picture of the banana bread I made yesterday. I had a piece just now and would highly recommend it with a cup of good coffee.

It's raining again and I don't know about you, but rain always makes me want to cook...........
We had a street party for the Queen's jubilee in June. I made a raised chicken pie for the occasion.
 This pie was, in short, a triumph.
I have always been a bit shy when it comes to pastry making. I think my early experiences of making pastry by hand sort of put me off. The results tended to be somewhat leaden and never quite the same as 'real' pastry.
My Granny used to make pies with pasty that was  crumbly and rich and, when eaten seemed to literally melt in the  mouth. I suspect the reason for their deliciousness was that they were full of lard, but that was in the days when fat wasn't considered bad for you and the best  sandwich in the world was white bread spread thickly with golden syrup.
So my dalliance with pastry is relatively new. 
Anyone with a food processor will know that pastry is a piece of cake if you'll excuse the mixed metaphor.
All you need to do is dump into the bowl twice the amount of flour as fat and give it a whizz until it looks like fine breadcrumbs. Did you know that when you do this, the fat is actually coating the flour? Amazing! After that you can add water to bind the pastry together or if you're being indulgent, you can add an egg. Then, once the mixture is whirling round the processor in one lump, you tip it out and you're ready to roll!
I know that most people know how to do this but for those of you who don't, believe me it's that easy. 


So as the rain continued to pour, I decided to make another pie to tide us over the weekend. This time, I used turkey and pork, and I am hoping that it'll be equally successful and delicious. I'll let you know.

My friends and family are suggesting that I start to make cakes to order and send them via post. I quite like the idea but then wonder if the pleasure I get from baking would diminish when I have to do it to order. What I need is an extremely large family for whom I could constantly create food.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life and Times of Someone You Might Know

A long time away